Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My New-Found Inspiration

Sometimes I feel like I am always trying to play catch up. Especially when I compare myself to my naturally-gifted family. I have a husband, brother, and sister-in-law who just have the competitiveness, endurance, and drive to be the best athletes out there! I don't think I could ever be as good as they are..


...But then I take a look at where I came from just a couple of short years ago. I never was a runner, and Erik thought it would be a good idea for me to do my 1st 5k. I was reluctant because I really enjoyed being sedentary and thought I couldn't fit it into my already-busy schedule. The biggest motivation I had was to loose weight (as that has always been an issue for me in my adult life). I had done kick-boxing & random gym classes, but nothing really worked for me. The motivation was never there. Going to the classes and never really having a "test"  to see how far I came did nothing for my need to continue.


So I started my "Couch Potato to 5k" training program! At least with running, you could sign up for a local race and start tracking your progress through your race times. There was a "test" to see how well I had trained. And if I liked it, I could keep doing them and keep beating my own records.


Erik thought the basic training program was rather silly, but it worked wonders for me! It only took me 9 weeks to barely be able to run for 1 minute at a time, to running the full 3.2 miles that is a 5k! I highly recommend this program for beginners.


If you know me, you know that I can never do anything alone! So I invited my friend, Alison to do my first race with me. She is such a trooper! It can go unsaid that my husband, brother, dad, sister-in-law, and a bunch of other extended family also signed up for the race. (that is just a given in my world)


My 1st 5k time was just a little over 36 mins! I was so proud just to cross the finish line! It was the Colorado Rockies Home Run for the Homeless and you got to run through Coors Field and the end of the race. I got to see myself on the big teleprompter and pride just seared through my body!


Shortly after that, with more extensive training by my husband, I signed up for the Stadium Stampede which was similar to the Rockies race, but this time we got to run through the Broncos stadium. I got my Personal Best (PB) that day with a little over 27 mins! I had shaved off almost 10 mins of my timing...Erik couldn't have been more proud! He saw that his wife might have a little bit of natural talent herself ;)


Fast forward to present day and I have done my fair share of races, but still have yet to beat my PB at the Stadium Stampede. So as a way to continue my training for the Ultimate Distance Sprint Triathlon in Evergreen in July, I have signed up for a couple of 5k's this spring.



The 1st one is "Lucky Laces 5k", it on St. Patty's day. The 2nd one is "The Cookie Chase 5k" in mid-April. The Cookie Chase has a special place in my heart though because I have a few friends are joining me who remind me a lot of myself. They are just getting back into shape, recently lost significant weight to be able to run, or are picking up running for sport like I did a couple of years ago! 




I hope that I can guide them and support them like I was coached 2 years ago. Seeing how far that I have come in such a short time has truly made me reflect on all the accomplishments that running has rewarded me with! It wasn't easy, I was whiny (ASK Erik!), I fought it tooth-n-nail at times. But now I have this amazing base and I feel this sense of accomplishment that cannot be taken away from me...The work that I have put into this body is for me to celebrate!


If I can give half of what was given to me by Erik, Darin, & Misti, then I believe that my new running friends might be finding themselves with a new lease on life....the same one I discovered just a short while ago.


Nicole, Jaclyn, Kirk, Cara and Marianne: You are my new-found inspiration! Maybe one of these days, we can ALL be as good as my trainer(s).

5 comments:

  1. 2012 is a good year for a new PR. I know you will crush the 27 min mark this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of your continuing accomplishments! Thank you for all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AMAZING!!! I never thought I would run, let alone enjoy running. If you call what I do running... Before Iris, I was gaining stregth and endurance and did a 5k. Now, back to square one. Any tips on getting started? last time I just went out and walked/jogged, but had no real training system.

    ReplyDelete